Sunday, May 20, 2012

Jazzfest Leg 3 @ Fairgrounds 5/4/12

I met someone at the Flamenco set who loved it as much as I did.  He mentioned he might not be able to follow Marcia Ball after that.  I realized that was true for me, too.  So I went to Bruce Hornsby & the Noisemakers and loved it.  At first, I was just going to walk through slowly.  But, it sounded really good and then the Bonerama Horns came on and I found a spot on the lawn by some friends.  I moved on when the horns did.

The Noisemakers consists of bassist J.V. Collier (who has played with Hornsby 17 years), keyboardist/organist John “JT” Thomas (21 years), saxophonist flutist Bobby Read (18 years), guitarist/mandolin player Doug Derryberry (13 years) and drummer Sonny Emory (the relative newcomer of the bunch, nine years).  Released eleven years after Here Come The Noisemakers, a double-CD live document of the group’s early years (with original drummer Michael Baker), Bride Of The Noisemakers is a powerful expression of how the group sounds today.



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTKWeP0tzI4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVHjwRRaWY8
http://boneramamusic.com/2012/05/07/bone-of-the-day-bruce-hornsby/

I did go by the Pedrito Martinez Group.  They were good.  I just know I can see them in NY, so I wasn't compelled to stay too long.

Wanda Rouzan & a Taste of New Orleans was good in the Blues Tent. 
Wanda Rouzan & A Taste of New Orleans (New Orleans R&B)
Hailed as the “Sweetheart of New Orleans,” Rouzan is one of the Crescent City’s premier vocalists and musical ambassadors, both as an educator and leader of the group A Taste of New Orleans. With a career spanning 50 years, she fuses jazz and blues, funk and soul into a “jump-on-your-feet and sing-along” music revival. 


I also enjoyed a little of Bruce Daigrepont Cajun Band at the Fais Do Do Stage.
THE BRUCE DAIGREPONT CAJUN BAND--comprised of accordion, fiddle and a tight rhythm section--mixes traditional Louisiana French music with original Cajun and Zydeco material. Both New Orleans natives and tourists alike catch Bruce and his band at the legendary Tipitina's for the Sunday evening Fais Do Do.

No comments: