Friday, May 18, 2012

Fairgrounds Final Leg 5/3/12

On my way from Henry to Regina I kept getting caught by the sounds coming from the Dirty Dozen Brass Band at the Acura stage.  I was walking around the racetrack to get there.  I kept having to stop and dance as I was making my way.  They were incredible.

Esperanza Spalding was very late getting started.  I finally realized I needed to come back for her.  I did stop back later and reinforced that her music isn't for me, or at least not this album.
http://lineup.nojazzfest.com/band/esperanza-spalding
http://www.nola.com/jazzfest/index.ssf/2012/05/grammy_winner_esperanza_spaldi.html


I got to see a little more of Cheick Hamala Diabate at the Lagniappe stage.  Recall he was at the Jazz & Heritage Stage way back in leg 1.

I love Astral Project.  I only got a little but it was awesome.
Astral Project (Modern Jazz)
Offering great modern jazz for the last 32 years, Astral Project boasts an all-star membership with saxophonist Tony Dagradi, bassist James Singleton, drummer Johnny Vidacovich and guitarist Steve Masakowski. Always a stunning set in the Jazz Tent.


I walked by Jimmy Buffet's acoustic set and I liked it.  I was surprised because a work friend made me a Buffet mix CD a few years ago - the 1st time he played Jazzfest since I've been going (11 fests for me now).  I didn't like that CD so much.

I briefly walked by Florence and the Machine out of curiosity.  I don't get it.

I was wearing out when I heard great drumming coming from the Kids Tent.  I had to go in and dance for a bit.  There were no stilt walkers at that time but it was listed as African Dance Company and Stilt Walkers. The drummers were all adults.
Culu Childrens Traditional African Dance Company has performed at The New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival for the past 21 years!!!! A FAVORITE of Young as well as Old, Culu brings to the stage TRADITIONAL AFRICAN FOLKLORE featuring their teachers who are born and raised in Africa!!!! This is an ALL CHILDREN PERFORMING FOLKLORE COMPANY.

It was so good to be back!

No comments: