Sunday, May 20, 2012

Fairgrounds Leg 1 5/4/12

I thoroughly enjoyed Big Al Carson & the Blues Masters.  He was actually the 1st musician I saw my very first trip to NOLA in Sept 2001.  It was a work trip and my colleague and I were checking out Bourbon St looking for music.  I hadn't learned how to find music yet.  A few days later I saw a band with the word "funk" in it, Papa Grows Funk playing at the Maple Leaf and I got some other colleagues to come out with me.  THAT was a great night.

I also enjoyed the Kumbuka African Dance & Drum Collective.  They had some Mardis Gras Indian type attire.
Kumbuka African Drum & Dance Collective is Louisiana's premiere African dance company. Kumbuka is dedicated to the preservation, presentation, documentation and research of traditional African and African American folklore. Kumbuka performs regularly with schools, festivals, prisons, and special events. Kumbuka celebrated its 30th Year Anniversary Concert in November at the Contemporary Art Center. Kumbuka's repertoire includes Dance de Calinda (Dances of Congo Square) Haitian dance, West African dance and dances of the Black Indians of New Orleans.  


No comments: