Wednesday, September 21, 2011

TTB @ The Beacon 9/10/11

There was no mention of an opener except on the Beacon Marquee.  It was Scrapomatic and they did a short one, lasting about 1/2 hour.  I was very worried that people were all sitting and a lady behind me yelled at me to sit down so she could see.  I always get way too upset about that.  Fortunately, a lot of people stood for TTB.  Better yet, I was in the section where people tended to stand a lot if the most of the floor was sitting.  Good deal!

I had heard after I got there TTB would hit at 8:45 and the show would be over at 11.  Basically, they don't have that much material for a big 2 set night.  I remember thinking why don't they pull out some covers or do some more soloing or something.  Looks like they already had that figured out because that's what they did in the set they played straight through.  It was a great show.

I got the new CD for only $10 while I was there.  It's great!  They played all of the songs on it.  They also had a drums portion which I loved.  Then Oteil come out with the drums and do his bass/voice thing.  I remember when he did that every night one year for The ABB Beacon run.  The trombone player is a good dancer and a good jazz singer, so he filled in with a jazz vocal tune.  It was a great, long set.

I admit I still miss the Derek Trucks Band more than I can say.  I just had to express that.  It would be nice if this band evolves into something spectacular, but time will tell.

From the listing:
As husband-wife couples go in the world of music, it is a challenge to find a duo as well-fitted and naturally prolific as that of singer/guitarist Susan Tedeschi and guitarist Derek Trucks. After building successful solo careers, the two have been guests on each other's albums, toured together, and have each received individual Grammy nominations in the category of "Best Contemporary Blues Album" for their 2009 albums, Tedeschi for Back To The River and Trucks for Already Free (which he won). Now they have joined forces, writing and recording with their new 11 piece band, the Tedeschi Trucks Band. The group just released, Revelator, an album Rolling Stone describes as a "meaty masterpiece" that echoes so many great traditions- Delta blues and Memphis soul, Sixties rock and Seventies funk- blended with an entirely original, modern sensibility.

Recognized for their outstanding live performances, the Tedeschi Trucks Band also includes singers Mike Mattison and Mark Rivers, bassist Oteil Burbridge, keyboardist/flutist Kofi Burbridge, drummers J. J. Johnson and Tyler Greenwell, plus trumpeter Maurice Brown, tenor saxophonist Kebbi Williams, and trombonist Saunders Sermons. The first generation of this new lineup made appearances at some of the most prestigious festivals of last year including New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Fest, Eric Clapton Crossroads Guitar Fest, Telluride Blues & Brews Festival, and Japan's Fuji Rock Fest.

No comments: