Thursday, September 8, 2011

Trombones @ University of the Streets 8/30/11

I've been busy at work and didn't get a chance to see what was going on until I got home close to 8pm.  When I saw a trombone quartet and who was playing I knew this was where I wanted to be.

Alan Ferber was listed, but Curtis Hasselbring was there instead.  He makes me just as happy, so no biggie.  I don't think I've ever seen Chris Stover before.  He was the leader and composer.

Most of the pieces were compositions.  it was pretty good.  Often one of them would have the melody and the rest would be "backup" or "rhythm" or something like that.  Chris Washburn sometimes played the bass trombone, sometimes the regular trombone.

My favorite was the completely free improvised "lagniappe" piece they did for us right before the last arrangement on their "set list".  I use the word "lagniappe", but Chris said they were going to give us "something extra" before the last one.  He then started it off using a beer can in the bell of his horn to make interesting crackly and horn sounds.

Good stuff!

CHRIS STOVER
Chris Stover - trombone, compositions, Alan Ferber - trombone, Steve Swell - trombone, Chris Washburne - trombone. $10.
08/30/2011
8:00 pm

No comments: