Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Tain & The Ebonix @ Jazz Standard 3/23/08

I would call it “damn good lively jazz” music. There was even a little experimental going on with a song with drunken in the title. Tain was in a very good mood for Easter and was very friendly toward the audience. They ended the set with “JC is the Man”, which they said was appropriate for the day. Before they played a note, and were chanting “JC is the Man”, it took me a minute to figure it out. Actually, I didn’t figure it out until they started playing, and then it was obvious. Trane! He died in April 67, and that might have been around Easter that year. He is the man.

Christian McBride was on bass, and he is phenomenal and grooving. The piano and sax were awesome. Tain was as great as usual. I’m so glad I made it. I’ve known about it for a couple of months, but it’s easy to miss those jazz shows when other things come up.

Tain & The Ebonix featuring Christian McBrideJeff "Tain" Watts – drumsDavid Kikoski – pianoChristian McBride – bassMarcus Strickland – tenor & soprano saxophones

No comments: