Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Auktyon + Hazmat Modine @ Fillmore 3/22/08

I couldn’t get the info on if there was an opening band Sat, but it seemed like there should be. I was so glad when I got there Hazmat Modine was on the stage. I’m been wanting to check them out for a while, but haven’t had the chance. I have seen the guitar player before, and he is amazing. They have a lot of horns and do many different styles of music. It was enjoyable, but I don’t need to knock myself out to get there anymore. They said they got the call for the gig 5 days before, so I guess even the promoters hadn’t thought of an opener.

Auktyon is from Russia, but they’ve been touring with Marc Ribot, John Medeski, and Ned Rothenberg. They also have a cd with these guys. That is of course what brought me out.

The music was very good, but I have a hard time getting past singing I don’t like. There was way too much singing for me. The whole thing seemed kind of Euro-pop. I don’t exactly know what I’m talking about, it just was hard to enjoy the music through that singing and the other guy jumping around. I eventually had to leave early, but I am glad I made it out.

http://www.auktyon.com/

No comments: