Thursday, March 13, 2008

David Torn @ Joe's Pub 3/13/08

I've been working hard lately, but I was going through music withdrawl. On impulse, while walking by Joe's Pub, I decided to get a ticket for the early show. I knew some of the names, and have seen some of them before. I had no idea what it was, and boy am I glad I went.

http://www.joespub.com/component/option,com_shows/task,view/Itemid,40/id,2681

David Torn - Prezens
Featuring Tim Berne,
Craig Taborn and Tom Rainey

Excellent, psychedelic, trippy great music! I was completely engaged and immersed for the entire jam. They played for 45 minutes, paused briefly, and then another 15 minutes. We wanted and encore, but I guess they wanted a break before the next set.

They used electronics in a good way. Torn had his guitar and an interesting big box that made very interesting sampling sounds. I bought a cd which calls it "live sampling".

Tom Rainey was phenomenal. I especially liked when he was playing some great pattern with his hands on the kit. It sounded very tribal.

Tim Berne was great on the alto.

Craig Taborn had a few different keyboard instruments, rhodes, b3, and mellotron. Looked a little bigger than a melodica wihtout the tube.

It was all very spacey, got kind of funky at times, kind of mellow at times (but not boring), and reminded me somewhat of Project Z.

I was very good time and hard not to go to the 2nd set.

No comments: