Sunday, March 6, 2011

Kahane/Thile/Mehldau @ LPR 3/2/11

Well! My friend is always talking about Chris Thile and this looked like a good way to get my intro.  It was a good thing we got tickets back in early January because it was sold out.

It started at about 7:45/8:00 with Gabriel Kahane doing solo work.  He played the piano and sang.  Sometimes he played the guitar and sang.  It was good.  Definitely fun.  I mean, I didn't need him, but I'm not into the singer-songwriter thing AND I don't appreciate his piano playing when you have someone like Brad Mehldau in the house.  But that's just me.  My friend and most of the sold out crowd were very happy to have him.

I did enjoy when Brad came out and they did a couple of duo pieces.  I also loved when Chris came out toward the end of Gabriel's portion for the last 2 or 3.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed his portion, I just wasn't blown away is all.

That's to say I was completely blown away by Chris and Brad.  Wow.  I love how they transitioned into Chris' solo set and then there was a portion with a Brad duo.  I think toward the end they did a couple of trio pieces.  I'm a little late writing this and there's been a lot of phenomenal music since last week.

Chris Thile is unbelievably talented.  Wow!  I will be making more of an effort to see him more often.

Chris Thile and Gabriel Kahane-SOLD OUT
w/ special guest Brad Mehldau , co-presented with Carnegie Hall as part of Brad Mehldau’s 2010-11 Richard and Barbara Debs Composer's Chair residency at Carnegie Hall

No comments: