Saturday, March 5, 2011

Dee Pop's Medicine Men @ ABC No Rio 2/27/11

I think in another email he referred to the band as "Radio I-Ching 3D".  The music is similar to Radio I-Ching and just as great. 

You may have noticed I've seen Radio I-Ching a number of times, my attendance predates this blog.  This is similar enough to think of it as an offshoot.  I like seeing this band or any other similar thing so close to Tonic's old space - that's where I first saw them.


It's got to be said again and again.  YOU WOULD LOVE THIS BAND!  They are great and fun and appeal to a lot of people.  They need to be opening at Brooklyn Bowl and other places!  They need to be in a multi-band night at Le Poisson Rouge!  Hopefully there will be other chances to see this or another Dee Pop project.  I'm counting on it, but they are few and far between.

This quartet had me dancing and rocking out and thoroughly enjoying myself. While I was the only one dancing again, it's a band that many would dance to.  I think the setting precluded it, but it's a get down rock/experimental band.

Sunday Feb 27th @ 7pm
*surreal blues*
Dee Pop's Medicine Men
in 3D surround sound
Dee Pop - percussion, primal howling, errant mumbling, electronics
(bush tetras, gun club, freedomland, james chance...)
Don Fiorino - guitar, bass, mandolin, other stringed things & electronics
(hanuman sextet, attention screen, radio i-ching)
Daniel Carter - sax, clarinet, trumpet & interstellar mathematics
(other dimensions in music, test, yo la tengo)
and special guest, from Sediment Club, Austin Julian - guitar, dangerous weapons and other surprises
* avant boogie*
*jumped jazz*
ABC NO-RIO
156 Rivington Street
(between Suffolk & Clinton)
Suggested donation $5

No comments: