Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Mark Dresser @ Cornelia St Cafe 11/28/10

I loved how they started, the piano strings sounded so great.  The bass strings had a similar, pretty, tinny sound.  I loved those sounds and was glad the set was sprinkled with some of those as well as many other great sounds.  Tom Rainey started off playing the kit with his hands.

It was a fabulous set of experimental jazz with a great sax, trombone, piano, bass and drums.  The horns certainly didn't hold back in the small room.  They wailed at times.  They also played quietly at times.

I thoroughly enjoyed the set.  It was a Sun night after a holiday, so I opted out of the next set.  I'm sure it was great.

Well, well, well, lookie here, "hyperpiano" is the instrument listed.  I feel like I hit the jackpot when I found this link.   I've been fascinated by this ever since I saw Sylvie Courvoissier for the first time.

MARK DRESSER QUINTET
Rudresh Mahanthappa, alto saxophone;
Michael Dessen, trombone;
Denman Maroney, hyperpiano;
Tom Rainey, drums;
Mark Dresser, bass

No comments: