Saturday, September 25, 2010

Charlie Hunter @ Cameo Gallery 9/21/10

Charlie has been doing a Tues night residency here for the month.  I just found out about it at Cochemea's show, but I couldn't make it last week.  I'm sorry to say I will have to miss next week as well.  However, this was phenomenal.

It was a Charlie and Matt Chamberlain duo.  I hate to admit it, but I'm just not a fan of Chamberlain.  Sure, he's technically great.  I can dance, so it's not like I can't feel his playing.  It bothers me that I can't pinpoint what it is I'm not crazy about.  The only thing I can come up with is he's more subtle in his playing and I like intense.  I was coming around as the show went on.  I still can't call myself a fan, though.  It doesn't make sense.

Anyway, it was a fabulous show.  I was into it and loving it.  They took a setbreak and there was another fabulous band out front to watch while waiting.  I got caught by that band, and went back in for 15 min of the Charlie set before choosing to leave at 11:30 in favor of sleep.  Then I had to wait on the subway platform for almost 20 min for a train.  I need to figure out the timing of the trains better.

No comments: