Monday, February 4, 2008

Trombone Battle @ Dizzy’s 2/2/08

I finally made it to one of the jazz battles at Dizzy’s. I actually went to the 12:30 set. It’s a really great vibe. You walk in and seat yourself. I saw plenty of people brought their own food and beverage. It’s completely free, if you desire. If you want something from the bar, you can walk up and get it. They have coffee for $2, no tea. They also have wrap sandwiches for $3 and a few munchies. And, of course, they have alcohol. You don’t have to buy a thing, though.

The show was as excellent as all Dizzy’s shows. The jazz was stellar. It was more like a quintet with 2 trombones than a jazz battle per se. If there was a winner, I would have to say it was Luis Bonilla. Both were excellent, though. It started with a song just with the trio, which was as excellent as the rest of the music. It was a 1 hour set and then they clear the room, but you can get back in line for the 2nd set at 2:30. There weren’t many people waiting for the 2nd set, so it would have been easy to get back in.

I took my time going home. I was happy to see Drum Addicts out on 14th St. by Union Square and got a great song from them on my way home as well. They had a tenor sax, trumpet, and 2 drummers with various drums, including plastic buckets. It was a great afternoon.

http://www.jalc.org/dccc/d_calendar.asp
Sat, Feb 2, 12:30 & 2:30pm
Dizzy's Club Coca-Cola PresentsJazz Battle:
TromboneVincent Chandler vs. Luis Bonilla with the Xavier Davis Trio
FREE to the public.
(First Come, First Served.)

No comments: