Monday, February 4, 2008

John Ellis/Luis Perdomo + Bombay Jazz 2/2/08

I decided to go back to Jazz Gallery for more of John Ellis’s Dreamscapes. I saw it last Dec

This is the finale of the composers series at Jazz Gallery, which is funded by a grant. They decided to combine 2 composers each night for the finale. This was John Ellis and Luis Perdomo. The 2 had decided earlier that day to trade off, dance if you will, compositions. They started with Luis and then John did one of his dreams, and back and forth like that. There was about 6 songs in total, I think.

Perdomo’s music was great jazz. I definitely enjoyed it, but don’t know what else I can say about it. Well, I guess I could say how awesome John Ellis was on the sax. There seemed to be a lot of soprano sax in his compositions.

It was nice to revisit Ellis’s dreamscape concept, this time with a smaller band. He did have the poet there again to read us text about the dreams before they played. I did prefer the last tune “food dream”, with the big interesting band John had assembled before. It was still pretty good, and had I not heard it with the bigger group, I wouldn’t have much to say.

I found a little NY Times blip about it.

The Jazz Gallery's Composers Series - II FINALE
February 2nd, 2008 9:00 & 10:30 p.m.$15.00 / $10.00 for Members
John Ellis & Luis Perdomo
John Ellis - reeds, Luis Perdomo - piano, Marcus Rojas - tuba, Eric McPherson – drums


After that, I decided I was in jazz mode, so I didn’t make it back to Lackawanna at Banjo Jim’s. Instead, I opted for Larry Coryell & Bombay Jazz at Jazz Standard. That was absolutely fantastic! There was a good crowd for the 11:30 set. After the 1 hour set, people were yelling for one more. It didn’t look like it was going to happen. I stopped at the restroom and when I came out they were going back on stage for the one more we craved, which was great. It ended a little before 1am. I am so glad I got there.

http://www.jazzstandard.net/red/secondary/jazzCalendar2.html

THU - SAT JANUARY 31 - FEBRUARY 2 - 2008 NEW YORK GUITAR FESTIVALLarry Coryell & Bombay JazzLarry Coryell – guitarGeorge Brooks – saxophonesRonu Majumdar – Indian flute Vijay Ghate – tablaBeginning in 1966 with his head-turning recording debut on Chico Hamilton’s album The Dealer, guitarist Larry Coryell became a true pioneer of jazz-rock guitar. “Armed with a brilliant technique, he is comfortable in almost every style, covering almost every base from the most decibel-heavy, distortion-laden electric work to the most deli­cate, soothing, intricate lines on acoustic guitar.” (Richard S. Ginell, AllMusic.com) Jazz Standard is proud to pre­sent the four exceptionally talented musicians from India and the US known as Bombay Jazz as they explore the melodic richness and dynamic rhythmic interplay that characterize both great jazz and the finest Indian classical music. Spanning the musical globe, Ronu Majumdar (a Grammy Nominee) , Vijay Ghate and George Brooks have performed with such luminaries as Ravi Shankar, George Harrison, George Duke and Etta James just to name a few.Tickets: $25 / $30 Friday & Saturday

No comments: