Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Steve Coleman Presents @ Jazz Gallery 2/18/08

I’ve been wanting to check out this workshop for a long time. I don’t play any instruments, but I’m very interested in jazz and what goes through these artists heads.

It was just Steve and his trumpet player, Jonathan last night. I could only stay from 9-10:30, but it was very interesting for me. He encourages the attendees to bring their instruments and says you never know who’s gonna show up. Apparantly last week Marcus Gilmore was there and a few others.

He started by asking the attendees for questions. He got a few regarding the week before. It was all very interesting, about improvising, playing toward and away from the other players, etc. He said the people who play in his band have to know all the parts, which means they have to practice all the parts.

I’m glad I went and it looks worth it for budding and experienced musicians to check out some Monday night.

No comments: