Monday, January 21, 2008

Skerik/Lott/Gamble @ Zebulon 1/20/08

I was mainly taking a little break this weekend, that's just the way it worked out. Still, when I saw this show listed at Zebulon, there was no way I was missing it. I love Zebulon, and I haven't seen Skerik for a while. It will be nice to get a few shows this week, culminating with the Marco show at Sullivan Hall.

Simon Lott is great. I have yet to see him in anything that isn't great. He had a keyboard next to his drum kit and occasionally played something with that.

It was all improvised. It was nice and kind of jazzy at times, and intense at others. I think I like the Maelstrom Trio a little better, which has Brian Coogin on organ instead of Mike Gamble on guitar. Still, it was quite enjoyable. It will interesting to see the difference with the bass player at the Tap Bar on Wed.

I liked the way they were sampling sounds and it sounded pretty good.

I loved it and could get into it the entire time. It was a great way to spend a Sun. night.

I did catch the opening band, Hans Blilx. That was OK. I sat the whole set, so it wasn't that great, even though it was kind of grooving. The drummer was very intense, and pretty loud. I think I would have thought it was better if I wasn't so spoiled with such great music all the time. It just didn't hold up to what I usually see.

No comments: