Saturday, May 22, 2010

Jazzfest @ Fairgrounds, NOLA 5/1/10

It was a great day for rock. I needed to sleep and let my headache go away, so I didn't get there until after 2. I saw the end of Brian Blade & the Fellowship Band set. It was great. Kurt Rosenwinkel wasn't there, and I thought maybe there was another change-up, but I'm not sure.

I tried to get to Band of Horses, but I couldn't quite make it in time. I did go by Chris Thomas King in the Blues Tent on my way, and that was pretty good.

I listened to Sonny Landreth for a while, sitting in those bleachers by the grandstand. He was at the Gentilly Stage and sounded great.

Galactic was very crowded. I couldn't take the crowd, but I got to be there for both the Irma Thomas song and the Trombone Shorty song. I spent that time dancing and moving through the crowd on the walkway by the Acura Stage.

I saw a little of the Sagbohan Danialou of Benin, but I missed George Porter Jr playing with them. I heard that you couldn't hear him, but it would still be good to see George. I could definitely hear the guy playing bass when I was over there.

I had to leave to get over to the Congo Stage for DJ Soul Sister's set. It smoked, as expected. She is a great DJ. She had a rapper and some dancers up there. It was an awesome dance party.

There was a time I was over at the Lagniappe Stage listening to Kenny Bill Stintson & the ARK-LA-Mystics. That had some good guitar that took me back to Warren and Kraz playing together the night before.

I enjoyed the few minutes I heard of Pearl Jam. I couldn't deal with the crowd and the music couldn't hold me.

Marcus Miller started late. Man, that was great! I thought for sure I've seen him before, but now I'm not so sure. I don't even think I have the Miles Davis Tutu album they were revisiting. He played with a bunch of great, young jazz artists including Christian Scott.

I could have stayed for that whole set, but I needed to give some love to the other phenomenal acts going on simultaneously: Kenny Wayne Shepherd, then Old Crow Medicine Show, and Jeff Beck.

It was a fantastic 1/2 day at the fest!

No comments: