Thursday, May 29, 2008

The Latin Jazz Allstars @ Iridium 5/28/08

I was sick all day yesterday. After about 15 hours of sleep, I felt great and was completely over whatever it was. That of course meant I was well-rested with cabin fever and had to get out. I couldn't get to the early shows, so it was down to Iridium or Edmar Castenada at 55 Bar. Since I just saw that, I figured I was about due for Iridium. Also, I seem to be in a Latin pattern lately, so may as well hit it up.

It was great. It was $40, but there were a lot of people on the stage. Steve Turre seemed to be calling the songs, but I think Arturo O'Farrell might have been the leader. They were all excellent. It started with a sitin on bass clarinet. Ray Vega was on trumpet and flugelhorn, there were 2 trombones, piano, timbales, congas, and drum kit. Then, I lucked out that Kenny Garrett was in attendance and sat in for 1.

The drums were all awesome. Everyone was awesome. I loved having piano. I found myself being caught by the bass (Yunior Terry) quite a bit. It was excellent! Then, as good as it was, Kenny Garrett took it to a whole other level. He was definitely the highlight of an already great set.

I bet if I had gotten there for the 1st set, there was a good chance of staying for the 2nd for another minimum. It wasn't too full.

I do like that place, the only problem is location and price. It is nice to get there every now and then. I would like to try the jazz brunch sometime. It think it's a buffet and I do like whatever food I've had there.

Iridium's website is down, but I think this listing has some extra people that weren't there. I don't quite remember the names of everyone up there. I do know the other trombone was Jimmy Bosch and Phoniex Rivera was the trap drummer.

THE LATIN JAZZ ALL STARS: FOR MARIO & HILTON
FEATURING:
STEVE TURRE, CANDIDO, ARTURO O'FARRILL, RAY VEGA, DAVID VALENTIN,
YUNIOR TERRY, CLAUDIO RODITI, PETE ESCOVEDO, DAVID SANCHEZ, CHEMBO CORNIEL, PHONIEX RIVERA, JORGE CASTRO & JIMMY BOSCH

No comments: