Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Grand Fatilla, Cambridge, Mass, 5/19/08

I made it to Atwoods Tavern in Cambridge for Grand Fatilla. I really enjoyed it. They were all very talented and they did play from many different styles. It was nice that the audience at the pub was so attentive. They even did a quiet number because it was a good, listening crowd. There were people talking more toward the front of the bar, but it didn’t interfere with the music in the back. The electric mandolin sounded awesome. That, with the accordion had me keep looking for the violin I kept thinking I was hearing. The percussion included that Peruvian box drum and some other drums I’m not as familiar with. It was great and a lot of fun. Also, it really was free music and I don't think there were any minimums. There was no tip jar or anything.

Mondays May 12, 19 & 26, 2008
Grand Fatilla (Mike Rivard (double bass), Roberto Cassan (accordion), Matt Glover (elec mandolin) & Fabio Pirozzolo (perc & voice)).
Atwoods Tavern, 877 Cambridge St, Cambridge, MA. 617-864-2792.9 pm - 12 am. Free! www.atwoodstavern.com
Modern Global Music on shuffle...Argentian Tangos, Italian Tarrantellas, Turkish Sufi sacred songs, Irish reels, Moroccan trance, Bulgarian dance music, and music from composers Hermeto Pascoal, Astor Piazzola, as well as originals from the band members.

No comments: