Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Driscoll, Frisell, Davis, Hollenback @ Cornelia St 12/15/11

I always love a new combination of people I already love.  It was an allstar lineup with an allstar set.  When I made the res, I wanted to do both sets.  But the guy I talked to on the phone told me that it wasn't true and there was only one set.  It turns out he was incorrect, but it was for the best as the first set was awesome and I got some sleep.  It was really awesome music.  They have a CD, but I'm more interested in live. They said the 2nd set would be different music.

They each composed phenomenal pieces for the ensemble.  Bill Frisell is so awesome.  This almost made up for the fact that I didn't make it to the Vanguard last week for Frisell, Blade, Scheinman.  Almost.

I also got lost in each of the others at various times.  It was all top-notch.

KERMIT DRISCOLL QT. FEATURING:BILL FRISELL
Kris Davis, piano; Bill Frisell, guitar; Kermit Driscoll, bass; John Hollenbeck, drums
Kermit Driscoll Qt. Featuring:Bill Frisell image
Kermit Driscoll is a veteran bass player who has recorded and performed with many noted musicians including Chet Baker, Dave Douglas, Bill Frisell, Bang-on-a-Can All Stars, Mel Torme, Kenny Werner and John Zorn. Earlier this year, at age 55, Driscoll released his debut album as a leader, Reveille, a program of kaleidoscopic funk, experimental abstractions, and fetching intricacies. The album features an all-star lineup, including Driscoll’s longtime collaborators Bill Frisell (guitar) and Vinnie Coliaiuta (drums), and rising star pianist Kris Davis. Reveille’s star-studded quartet united for only a day, but it performs like a group that’s worked together for ages. Driscoll appears at Cornelia Street with two out of three of the personnel from Reveille, marking the group’s first live appearance as an ensemble.

http://www.kermitdriscoll.com

No comments: