Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Dave Douglas Orange Afternoon Quintet @ Jazz Standard 12/10/11

It was a stellar amazing set of music.  I got there a little late, at about 7:45.  They played til around 8:50.  It was phenomenal.  Ravi and Dave together are brilliantly amazing.  The rhythm section with Vijay, Linda, and EJ was off the hook.  I'm very glad I made it a priority.

ORANGE AFTERNOONS QUINTET
Dave Douglas – trumpet
Ravi Coltrane – tenor saxophone
Vijay Iyer – piano
Linda Oh – bass
E.J. Strickland – drums

This modern–day jazz “super–group” is certain to draw crowds for tonight’s very special digital release engagement for Orange Afternoons. Ravi Coltrane and Vijay Iyer likely need no introduction. Both these celebrated instrumentalists have appeared on our stage with their own bands on multiple occasions. Bassist Linda Oh is a relative newcomer to the New York scene. The acclaimed pianist of the group Vijay Iyer says of Oh “a young bass powerhouse from down-under...I love how she just blew into town and took over.”

1 comment:

mike said...

I got a chance to see Vijay solo and with the Tirtha band here in Oregon, phenomenal player and composer.

enjoy your write ups, wish I could see a few bands you are seeing!

if you like live sets, I have a few on my blog at

http://duclism.blogspot.com/