Thursday, July 28, 2011

Tedeschi Trucks Band @ Theatre Trianon, Paris 7/7/11

I bought the ticket months ago.  I was so bummed out to miss out on the Highline show in NYC.  In fact, this show is what brought me to Paris in the first place.  I was going to be in Britain around that time, so there was no reason not to get to Paris.  After that, I noticed Warren was playing the next night, so it was even better.

The only thing is, TTB recently added a NYC gig at The Beacon and I have a ticket to that.  It's not until the Fall, but I found out from the awesome Paris jazz Guide Lylo that Secret Chiefs 3 were also playing.  I saw on the SC3 website they just put out a new album, so chances are they will be come to NYC but they are still more rare.  Needless to say, I only stayed for 1/2 hour of TTB.  It's hard to judge too much from the 1st 1/2 hour, but I will share my take from that, knowing a full show could be quite different.

Susan does all the talking and therefore appears to be the front.  I don't think Derek minds at all, after all, his name is also on the band.  I love having 2 drummers and a 3 horn section.  I love how jazzy it can get.  I wasn't crazy about so many vocals, but it could have also been my mood.  The Parisians were dancing more for Robert Randolph.  It was good, but really, I was missing the Derek Trucks Band.  I think it could have gotten there after a while - there were some moments.  It just would go back down to sultry vocals and slow songs and I just wasn't in the mood.

I'm glad I got some and I'm looking forward to The Beacon show!

No comments: