Friday, June 24, 2011

Bonebridge @ Joe's Pub 6/16/11

Eric Friedlander's new project includes Doug Wamble on slide guitar, Trevor Dunn on bass, and Michael Sarin on drums.  I figured Eric and Doug were collaborating when I saw Eric at Doug's last Jazz Standard show.  I was very excited when I saw that.

They gave me complete validation of that excitement.  This was fabulous.  Eric wanted to do something with the slide and cello.  He suspects they are the 2 instruments closest to the human voice.  I'm glad he chose to not have any actual human voice.  Although a little Doug Wamble vocals certainly wouldn't be a bad thing.

It was soulful, stellar, and spectacular.  The CD is awesome.  I hope this band plays around for a while.

Oh and as an aside, Eric told us to look around because Joe's Pub is about to undergo a big renovation.  I'm going to have faith it they will have a similar feel because so much of us like it that way.  Who knows, though.

NY Times Review
AAJ CD Review

No comments: