Saturday, June 25, 2011

Bobby Radcliff @ Local 269 6/19/11

Dee Pop curated an evening of 3 bands in which he played in all of them.  I'm not sure what the 1st was - I didn't make it in time for that.  This Blues band was up 2nd and already on when I got there a little after 8:30.

It was great!  Bobby Radcliff on guitar, Dave Sewelson on bass, and Dee Pop on drums.  It was good regular Blues and I enjoyed it a lot.  Dave was playing bass but he had a sax strap on and a baritone in front of him.  I yearned to hear it!  Also, Bobby threw out a teaser by saying to his band mates that they hadn't played "The Horse" yet, but it was too funky for a Blues set.  Well, that hooked me and now I found myself yearning for the baritone sax AND the funk while enjoying the music they actually were playing.

They did eventually play "The Horse".  While the sax wasn't played this set, I was thrilled to hear Dave was in the next band along with the fact he was packing up his bass.

I also immensely enjoyed seeing people get "caught" outside by the music and stand at the window enjoying for a few minutes.

It's nice to get to a Blues show.

Dee Pop's Medicine Show
Sunday June 19th Fathers Day • 7pm till 11pm
New Explorations into blues of the inner mind:
The agony and the ecstasy!
Featuring:
Gary Lucas - guitar,
Bobby Radcliff - guitar
Dave Sewelson - baritone sax & bass guitar,
Don Fiorino - guitar, banjo & bass guitar,
Dee Pop - drums
and perhaps some other strange folks
(3 sets with different configurations)
$5 cover for entire show
Local 269 • 269 East Houston @ Suffolk Street • LES NYC

No comments: