Sunday, October 31, 2010

Flexible Orchestra 2010 @ The Ukrainian Restaurant Ballroom 10/28/10

I was curious on many different levels.  I have walked by this Ukrainian place probably at least 3,000 times and I've never been in it.  I'm reading a Ukrainian novel, Dead Souls by Gogol, so it felt like it would be a good time to do it.  The 7 accordions definitely peeked my curiosity.  I wasn't the only one.  There was a large turnout and even though the space isn't small, they could have used a larger space.  They mentioned their previous shows were in a Church and they should probably go back to that in the future. 

I chose to stand and I found a spot that I could see the musicians.  However, I didn't realize my view would be blocked by a column for the dancers.  I stayed until intermission, so I got 2 music pieces and the Libretto concert suite.

The first piece was for 6 accordions, with the 7th, Guy Kucevsek the composer/conductor.  I liked it a lot. I liked how the accordions sounded like an organ at times and like strings at other times.

The 2nd piece had 7 accordions, violin, cello, contrabass, and I think one singer.  That was good, a little different.

The Libretto, entitled "French Artithmetic concert suite" was fun.  However, I really do not like high voices, especially opera voices.  Also, I couldn't really see the dancer because of the column in my way.  I did like the orchestra when I could connect.  We also had the text so we could read along, since you really couldn't understand the soprano at all.

After that, I decided it was enough.  I enjoyed it while I did, but didn't need any more.  It was interesting and different for me.  I would love to see it in a Church some time.

Flexible Orchestra 2010 / "Accordions Plus" New Music for Seven Accordions, Violin, Cello & Bass Compositions by Guy Klucsevsek, Daniel Goode, Christian Wollf & others Thursday, October 28th at 8:30pm at The Ukrainian Restaurant Ballroom / 140 Second Ave & 9th St. For more info:
www.danielgoode.com

http://www.soundart.org/flexorch.html

No comments: