Wednesday, November 18, 2009

MMW @ Nokia 11/14/09

I hearby declare Medeski, Martin, and Wood my current favorite band. They do it all, and they do it all excellently! They are 3 of the most talented musicians in existence today. Its actually a bit overdue, this choice.

This show was a great one to make the realization. I can't remember enough details to give a good detailed write-up. I'll just make an attempt to give the dribs and drabs I do remember. I recall being very pleased from start to finish.

It started with a great drum solo by Billy. Chris and John came out soon enough with Chris on an electric bass. At some point in the first set, they invited Eddie Bobé to sit in on the timbales and small congas. That was great. It also allowed me to again appreciate how well the 3 know each other and how they create together. Of course, I have very few of their CDs, so I don't know what's a song or even what's been played how many times before. That's one of the things that makes them so great, its all awesome without any familiarity.

I don't remember many specifics in the 2nd set, aside from loving it. Each of them had me super appreciating them at different times.

Yes, I love this band!

No comments: