Saturday, July 18, 2009

Jazz Night: Oscar Peñas Quartet @ Barge Music 7/16/09

Yes, I made these plans with some Brooklyn friends before I realized MTO was doing the Sly & the Family Stone thing. Oh well, I did have a nice time with the friends and I'm glad I finally made it to this venue. It's a barge, that sits on the river in Brooklyn. The band plays in front of the windows that look out on the downtown Manhattan skyline. It's a small space with seats with cushions. My friend with a bad back needed a couple of cushions for his back. I was pretty comfy just having the regular cushion under my butt.

The band was great. Lots of Latin-sounding straight ahead jazz. The bass was very interesting. It was electric, yet somewhat mellow. I was digging the sound. I also learned that Brazilian choros came about at the same time as Ragtime was emerging in the US.

It was a nice time and a nice intimate venue.

Jazz Night: Oscar Peñas Quartet

Oscar Peñas, Guitar; Dan Blake, Tenor and Soprano Saxophones; Motohito Fukushima, Bass; Franco Pinna, Drums

No comments: