Saturday, July 18, 2009

Charlie Hunter/Doug Wamble/Tony Mason @ Jazz Standard 7/15/09

Oh my God! This is the stuff you can never possibly dream up! And to think I almost missed it. I had forgotten Wed was the last night, but my intuition sent me up there for the 9:30 set. Had I thought it through, I would have done both sets. Man oh man! All of three of them were blown away amazing. Doug made me almost cry several times. That slide! Charlie did this amazing very long improvised intro that lasted long and was incredible. Somewhere along the way, he switched from the 8-string to the 7-string. I think he had it when I saw him at The Stone recently. I think it really works well. I've really been appreciating him even more since that show.

There was a special guest singer, Leah Siegel and she was incredibly worthy of sitting in with this greatness. She sounds good on myspace, but live in person, she's REALLY got it. Doug informed us we only scratched the surface of her capabilities.

I think that was my first time seeing Tony, but he definitely fits in with the high caliber drummers Charlie usually gets.

This was definitely one of my favorite shows of the year.


Charlie Hunter – 7-string guitar
Doug Wamble – guitar, vocals
Tony Mason – drums

No comments: