Friday, June 19, 2009

Ropeadope Anniversary/Scotty Hard Benefit @ Sullivan Hall 6/10/09

Otis Grove opened and they were good and funky. I. got about 3 or 4 songs. I liked it more when they really rocked out with the guitar. They closed their set with Whipping Post.

I was completely blown away by the greatness on the stage after that. This was another one of those dream bands that I never could have possibly dreamed up myself. Billy Martin, John Medeski, Charlie Hunter, John Ellis and Brad Jones. Amazing! They got funky at times, free and improvised at times, and just incredibly awesome in every single moment.

The only problem is that any talkers were very loud. I would say that 80% were completely into it, but that other 10-20% kind of dominated to an extent. The waitress was especially loud, and I don't remember her being so disrespectful of the music like that before. Its a shame because I saw how people seemed to stop ordering from her so she couldn't be so disruptive.

I will say none of that diminished my enjoyment of the incredible music I was so fortunate to be a part of. They did one long set.

In the middle of the set, Scotty Hard and a bass player came out. Brad Jones left the stage never to return. I was a little disappointed. The electric bass player was fine, I was just really digging Brad. It got a little more crowded up front, so I moved to the back.

After a bit, they took a super-quick break to change it up a little. Then we had a mini set with Joe Russo, Big Sam, Medeski, Ellis, Hunter, and Billy played cowbells. It was awesome.

Then, that was it. Otis Grove came back on for the next set, but you can't follow that. There was something weird about that, since it was previously announced there would be a late set with Joe Russo and Big Sam. I thought that's why they started earlier. I wasn't actually disappointed. The music I had the privilege of witnessing was just too phenomenal. Yes, the stuff dreams are made of.

Someone put up some vids, so you can see some of the awesomeness for yourself.

No comments: