Sunday, June 7, 2009

Bang on a Can Marathon @ WFC 5/31/09

I was there for something like 3:30-6:00. Something like that. I missed the Bill Frisell solo piece, but I loved the piece he did with the Bang on a Can Allstars. But, that was the later.

I got there in the middle of The Smith Quartet, and I liked it. Then there was another string piece which was fine. I don't think I was quite in the mood for all the strings on the classical side of things, though.

Next was an interesting creative piece in which the solo artist was playing with cans. I think it was Jeppe Just Chistensen playing the amplified coffee grinders. I liked that one because it was so unusual. I also like the thought of cans at the Bang on a Can Marathon.

I had to duck out for the thing with a lot of choir type voices. It was very "churchy".

I can't remember much about Build and the piece they did. I think I was a little bored at first, but then it got interesting and I moved up closer to listen.

The Smith Quartet then did "The Sinking of the Titanic". It was a little mellow for my mood. It was interesting that it was then announced that they just got a twitter post that the last survivor of the Titanic just died.

Henry Grimes and Andrew Cyrille were awesome and my kind of thing. I definitely loved that.

The last piece I saw was the as yet untitled piece they commissioned Bill Frisell to compose. He played it with the Allstars, which included a bass, percussion, piano, electric guitar, cello, and clarinet. I enjoyed that piece a lot.

That was enough for me. I enjoyed the time I was there. I never realized how many vocalists and strings they have. It's a nice departure from my usual, but I need to be in the mood for it.

It was really great. I think it was clarinet, cello, drums, and, oh sorry, it's all fuzzy now. I waited too long. It was great and there were plenty of people up there.


No comments: