Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Brass Bang @ Vision Fest 6/9/09

I missed the invocation, but this was a splendid way to kick off my fest. After they were introduced, Billy came out and said a few words about this new ensemble. It was influenced by great cats he's met and played with including Don Cherry and John Coltrane and many others. He and the drummer were on the stage from the beginning, but they were the last to join in. I like how they started it by having the horns walk onstage and join into the music one by one over a period of time during the 1st piece. It was a lot of fun and they were all so excellent.

Billy's music is usually exciting and lively and this was no exception. I had a good amount of chair dancing since Abrons Art Center doesn't really have anywhere I can stand and dance. I was pretty hooked for this entire 1 hour set.

Brass Bang
Billy Bang - violin
Ted Daniel - trumpet
James Zollar - trumpet
Ahmed Abdullah - trumpet
Dick Griffin - trombone
Russell Carter - drums

1 comment:

MilesOfTrane said...

I'm enjoying your blog, thanks for contributing to the knowledge base.