Monday, April 13, 2009

Sex Mob + Glass @ Glasslands Gallery 4/10/09

Sex Mob is one of the few bands that could get me to venture out into uncharted territory on a Friday night with many great music options available. It was a no brainer. It wasn't that far, only a little further than Zebulon. Still, it's an effort to venture into the unknown in unfamiliar surroundings. The place is very nice. It feels good and and looks good.

I got there a few minutes before 8 and basically missed the trombone/cello duo - they were just finishing up when I got there. Rob Brown was there in attendance, but he wasn't playing for some flukey reason that I don't know. The 2 minutes I heard was good and I am sorry I couldn't get there any sooner.

Next was Sex Mob with Todd Sickafoose on bass! I think this was his first time playing with them. It was great as usual. It was also different, a little more mellow. Steven wasn't talking as much as he often does. He's always entertaining, whether talking, playing, or conducting. I really love that band. It was a much better place to see them than The Stone. It is too bad more people didn't come out for it. I got their brand spanking new live cd from Switzerland with Medeski. They opened for MMW. It's awesome - get it.

I stayed for Glassband, which was good improv. I like the setup of baritone, drums, and guitar. I was very tired still, but it was worth staying out til 10 on a Friday.

I was kind of wanting more, so I walked by Zebulon and Spike Hill, but nothing was compelling me to stay out and I was really tired. It was great and I'm continually impressed with the great job Brad does in curating the This Is Our Music series.


THIS IS OUR MUSIC IX
Friday, April 10, 7PM, $5
@ The Glasslands Gallery
289 Kent Avenue between S1st and S2nd
L to Bedford
7PM - Planet Dream: Steve Swell (trombone), Rob Brown (alto sax), Daniel Levin (cello)
8PM - Sex Mob: Steven Bernstein (slide trumpet), Briggan Krauss (alto sax), TBA (bass) Kenny Wollesen (drums)
9PM - Glassband: Dave Sewelson (bari sax), Brad Farberman (guitar), Dee Pop (drums)
glasslands.com
steveswell.com
daniel-levin.com
robbrownmusic.com
stevenbernstein.net
briggankrauss.com
myspace.com/bradfarberman
myspace.com/davesewelson
myspace.com/radioichingnewyork

No comments: