Monday, April 27, 2009

Don Byron New Gospel Quintet @ Jazz Standard 4/23/09

I loved this. I wasn't expecting much, but I should have known it would be awesome.

Brad Jones played electric basses. He helped lay down a killer groove. He had me captivated many times.

The piano was amazing. He also played organ for some songs. I don't think I knew him before that. His name is Frank Wilkins.

Don Byron and Pheeroen AkLaff were as great as I remember. Don played clarinet and sax. I especially love him on clarinet.

The first song was a great instrumental. It set the tone for the greatness of the show. All the rest had DK Dyson on vocals. She did the kind of vocals I like, deep and soulful.

I can't remember who Don said they were interpreting. I will have to find out because I want to look him up.

I really love these Jazz Standard gigs and how he interprets a different genre each time. I'll never doubt him again going in. Its always been great.


DON BYRON NEW GOSPEL QUINTET
*World Premier*
* Don Bryon – clarinet
* DK Dyson – vocalist
* Frank Wilkins – piano
* Brad Jones – bass
* Pheeroan AkLaff – drums

No comments: