Saturday, August 13, 2011

ABB @ Beacon 7/27/11

I didn't have a ticket.  I think when I tried to get one right after they went on sale there were none on the floor.  I figured I'd wait. Then I completely forgot about it until I got an email the day of.  I went on line and there was a ticket in the center in Row Y.  For whatever reason I wasn't sure I wanted to go and I had a feeling I could do better outside the Beacon.  At around 7 I was in Tribeca thinking about my options for the evening.  I felt a huge pull to get on the 2/3 at Canal and get my butt up there.  I bought a full price ticket out front from a guy with an extra, Row X center.  I guess that counts as better than Y.

Thank God I went because it was spectacular!  I still can't get over it.  It started a little slow but picked up real quick into a very special show.  The first 1.5 hour set could have been the whole show and we would have left elated.  It was mainly ABB with Danny Louis popping in and then Ron Holloway Natalie Cole came out and tore it up.  I was thinking Natalie was somewhat similar to Aretha and then she did The Weight.  Toward the end she forgot the words and Warren stepped in to help.

After a 30 min intermission we got an even more amazing 1.5 hour set.  It started with David Crosby, Graham Nash, and Derek Trucks.  Then we had a little duo thing.  Then a trio with Warren.

Next it was one of those special one night bands I could have never possibly dreamed up myself.  Crosby, Nash, Haynes, Trucks, Lewis, 2 drummers (Butch and Jamoe), and Phil Lesh!  Wow!  Phil had come out the song before to do a Crosby song.  We got treated to a mini Dead set of Sugaree, Shakedown Street, and Franklin's Tower.  It killed.  Greg came out at some point, but he doesn't really count.  Although, we wouldn't have this show at all if he wasn't public about his illness and wanting to do something for others.  So, kudos to Greg!

Then it went back to ABB.  Natalie came out one more time to do a sick Whipping Post.

We got Barry Gibbons on the 2nd encore.

A show of a lifetime!

Here's some other reviews with more details and accuracy.  There's some videos in there as well:

http://www.glidemagazine.com/hiddentrack/allman-brothers-band-welcome-cole-lesh-crosby-nash-and-more-beacon-benefit/

http://www.spinner.com/2011/07/28/allman-brothers-beacon-hep-c/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Spinner+%28Spinner.com%29

1. Don't Want You No More
2. It's Not My Cross To Bear
3. I Walk On Gilded Splinters
4. One Way Out
5. Into The Mystic
6. Statesboro Blues
7. Blind Willie McTell
8. Black Hearted Woman
with James van der Bogert, drums
9. Change Is Gonna Come
with Natalie Cole, vocals; Danny Louis, keys; Ron Holloway, sax
10. The Weight
with Natalie Cole, vocals; Danny Louis, keys; Ron Holloway, sax
11. In Memory of Elizabeth Reed
with Bill Evans, sax

Set II
12. Teach Your Children
with David Crosby & Graham Nash, guitar & vocals, Derek, guitar
13. Guenevere Green
with David Crosby, guitar & vocals, Graham Nash, vocals
14. Find The Cost Of Freedom
with Crosby, Nash Haynes a capella
15. Cowboy Movie
with David Crosby; Graham Nash; Phil Lesh, bass; Danny Louis, keys; James van der Bogert , drums
16. Almost Cut My Hair
with David Crosby; Graham Nash; Phil Lesh, bass; Danny Louis, keys; James van der Bogert , drums
17. Shake Down Street
with Phil Lesh, bass & vocals; Danny Louis, keys; James van der Bogert , drums
18. Sugaree
with Phil Lesh, bass & vocals; Danny Louis, keys; James van der Bogert , drums
19. Franklin's Tower
with Phil Lesh, bass & vocals; Danny Louis, keys; Bill Evans, sax; James van der Bogert , drums; Oteil, vocals
20. Whipping Post
with Natalie Cole, vocals
Encore
21. Midnight Rider
with David Crosby, Graham Nash, vocals; Devon Allman, guitar & vocals
22. Will the Circle Be Unbroken
with Natalie Cole, vocals; Billy Gibbons, guitar, Crosby & Nash, vocals; Danny Louis, piano

No comments: