Saturday, August 14, 2010

Iverson/Anderson/Turner/Waits @ Small's 8/5/10

I walked in at 9:20 for the 9:30 set and the room was already pretty full. Still, I was able to score the 2nd barstool in from the stage, right by the drums. By 9:30 it was sold out, with a big crowd of standers in the back. There was a line outside of about 20 people waiting to get in for the 2nd set when I left soon after the end of the 1st.

It was well worth standing in line on a hot and steamy night! It was such an honor to sit so close to Nasheet. He had a lot of intense parts. He blew me away. I was so close I noticed theses 3 little metal "beads" on one of his cymbals. It was so pretty how they shook when he was playing that cymbal. I never saw that before.

Every so often I was able to tear my attention away from Nasheet to enjoy the others. They are all excellent and it's an excellent band.

There was some discussion about the last song. They let Reid choose between 2. He chose the one we heard because it wasn't played the previous night. It started and ended with amazing killer drum solos. Boy was I happy!

No comments: