Friday, April 18, 2008

The Tiptons + Luminescent Orchestrii @ Drom 4/17/08

Last night was one of those tough decision nights. There was so much going on. I was drawn to the 8pm shows, Bobby Previte/Ikue Morie @ Swing Space or Christian McBride @ Tribeca Performing Arts Center. But, I just couldn’t get it together to get out that early. I figured I get to the Vanguard for Bill Frisell. However, when I got there, I saw the 9pm show was sold out and I knew I couldn’t stay up for the 11. I walked by many of the jazz clubs in the West Village, and saw lots of good options. None of them were grabbing me, though. I decided to get over to Drom where I knew I’d like the international flair of the music.

It was awesome. I love The Tiptons, but haven’t seen them for a few years. They had a different drummer than Olivia Pupo-Walker, who was pretty good. I have been wanting to see Luminescent Orchestrii for a while. They play Barbes often. I am very impressed with them. 2 violins, a guitar, a drummer that started by playing only a marching band bass drum and then eventually got on the kit for a bit, and upright bass. They do a lot of styles of world and all are good. I was dancing up a storm at times, and I wasn’t the only one. It was a lot of fun.

I would have liked to stay for the NY Gypsy All Stars, it was just too late for me. They do tend to play there often.

Here’s a link to the event details:
http://dromnyc.com/home/index.php?option=com_gigcal&task=details&gigcal_gigs_id=98&Itemid=37

I really like Drom. The sound is really great. They have advance tickets on-line using google and there are no additional fees. I get the feeling there is no minimum, either. You are allowed to dance. What more could a person want? I guess that there were no columns in the way of some of the sightlines and that there were a standing area in front of the stage. Still, I bet on some nights people make their own dance floor up front. It’s a great place.

No comments: