Sunday, April 27, 2008

Russo Russo Russo @ Piano's 4/24/08

I am so glad I made it to Piano's in time for the end of A Big Yes And A Small No. I was completely blown away. I mean I was gone in euphoria for most of that last song. It helped me realize that what I saw at Highline for the Scotty Hard benefit wasn't as great as they could be. I do admit I don't like their singing. I would really prefer if they had no singing. Still, I was blown away regardless.

The rest of the night was great, but it never got to that level. I love those Russo Russo Russo nights, where Joe Russo plays with all the bands. I don't know how he does it, there wasn't much of a set break for any of the bands. He sang for a song in the American Babies set, and he's pretty good. I was surprised.

I did enjoy American Babies, but I think I liked what they did at Highline at the Scotty Hard benefit a little more. I do want to see more of them, I have a feeling they grow on you. Metzger played with them, I'm not sure if he's usually in that or not. He was great and it's been a while since I saw him.

Ginger & Friends included Joe Russo, Scott Metzger, Eddie the door guy from Tribeca Rock Club, a viola, another guitar, and I think someone else in addition to Ginger. It was great loud rock. The only problem was that after each song, Ginger talked for at least 5 minutes. He was funny most of the time, but I'm a purist. I want continuous music and like it when there's room for spontaneous improvised jams. I stayed for about 3 or 4 songs and then decided that was enough great music for a night.

No comments: