Sunday, December 23, 2007

The Stone 12/21/07

I went to The Stone Fri night for this:

10 pm
Masaoka/Courvoisier/Lee
Sylvie Courvoisier (piano) Okkyung Lee (cello) Miya Masaoka (koto)

I was amazing, as to be expected. They were filming it and said it would be available on-line at some point. They all played together and it was fantastic. While they were all awesome, Sylvie Courvoisier really blew me away. I can't believe how many of her shows I've missed. I don't think I've seen her since a Mephisto show at Tonic a while back. She really knows how to make full use of the piano. She makes it into a string instrument as well as a percussion.

I was reminded of this amazing show I saw a couple of years ago there:

8/17 Wednesday
8 and 10 pm
Wu Fei, Carla Kihlstedt, Ikue Mori, Sylvie
Courvosier, Kiku Day
Wu Fei (gu zheng) Carla Kihlstedt (violin) Ikue Mori (electronics) Sylvie
Courvosier (piano) Kiku Day (shakuhachi)

In that 8/17/05 show, curated by Carla Kihstedt, they kept having subsets of the whole group play together and then played all together at the end. Each of these women made incredible music playing their instruments in quite different ways than you normally see.

I think the only other time I've seen Sylvie, aside from maybe one other Mephisto show, was at The Stone with Ben Perowsky. That too was phenomenal.

I definitely need to try to make the 1/3 8pm set. Mark Feldman blew me away at the Masada shows and I always enjoy Ned Rothenberg.

1/3 Thursday (MF)
8 pm
Ned Rothenberg, Mark Feldman and Sylvie Courvoisier
Ned Rothenberg (sax) Mark Feldman (violin) Sylvie Courvoisier (piano)

No comments: