Sunday, December 30, 2007

George Porter, JR Birthday Bash, NYC

That was a great time! So nice to have a late night funkdown and I'm so glad George was able to do a birthday thing up here. He mentioned this was his 2nd celebration this week, with the 1st being in NOLA. I again feel blessed to be here.

There were a lot of people shut out last night, but that was just due to not thinking about it early enough. I bought my ticket shortly after they went on sale at the box office without giving it a 2nd thought. Most people who wanted in badly enough were able to get in, though. It was a lot of fun and good to see everyone.

I like the venue. I hadn't been there yet. I was afraid of the word "theatre". It was actually pretty good, with a large floor area and then some movie-theatre style seats which I think helped a lot. Some people really like seats. That was a sold out show and it didn't feel over-crowded. Even in spite of the cordoned off VIP area up front to the right of the stage. That area was just a little too large for the amount of people in it, which just seemed wrong. I think that brought more people who were allowed to be in there out into the rest of the area, making it more crowded. I hope they re-think that in the future.

The show was awesome. 1st set was just PBS. That was pretty good, although I've been to some better PBS shows. Still, it was enjoyable and there were some extra good moments. Russell was in check for the most part, which makes all the difference.

They brought out the guests for the 2nd set, starting with Warren and Danny Louis and Andy Hess. This set was kind of a blur for me, so I'm not quite sure what exactly went on. I think Matt Abts didn't make it and at first George was on the 2nd kit. I think before Warren left the stage, he was on that kit and there was another non-drummer up there for a bit. That made it pretty fun.

I was pretty impressed with Karl Densen, something I rarely say. It was because those earlier horns at Mule were so lacking and he is a real player and he was pretty good last night. After that, those very same horns showed up and I supressed a groan. Actually, I think I did groan. Disappointing again. We did not need them in the room at all. Worse, they did Pass the Peas and it just felt so lacking when the horns started playing. Thank God Karl was there to at least save it a little. Again, it wasn't terrible, but it could have been a lot better. I still can't believe I wanted horns to leave the stage. This is really a first for me.

Krasno was up there for a while and the whole thing was a lot of fun. John Gros was up there for a while as well.

They announced last call at 3:45 and said they would play unti 4:30. George didn't realize the venue had other ideas about how long they would play. Still, it was good and funky with some room to dance for the last few songs 4:00-4:20. I really enjoyed it and had a lot of fun with that.

Overall a great time and I'm glad I got to be there.

No comments: