Friday, December 21, 2007

Fieldwork @ The Stone 12/20/07

I went to The Stone last night for Fieldwork, which was playing all week at 10pm. They said they are going to make a cd today. I’m not sure if they were recording or practicing all week for it. I think it’s great when the drummers lug their own kit down there. They do have a house kit, but it’s getting pretty worn out. Still sounds good, it’s just such a difference when they lug out their own. Tyshawn’s is really, really nice. He even brought his own rug to put under the kit. I think it made a huge difference.

It was definitely fantastic and there were lots of music students/young musicians in the crowd who were there all week. The last couple of songs were really cookin’ and I thought that was especially wonderful. I did feel it was a little lacking at times. I don’t think it was due to the music quality at all, and I was still into it. I think it lacked either some soul or some heart or something. I don’t know why, because I’ve enjoyed each of them in other forms and I couldn’t pick out any individual that was lacking, it just didn’t feel as good as I would think when the music is that good.

Still a good use of $10 and I’m very glad I made it.

Fieldwork
Tyshawn Sorey (drums, compositions) Vijay Iyer (piano, compositions) Steve Lehman (saxophone, compositions)
http://www.fieldworktheband.com

No comments: