Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Paris Music

I wanted to sample more of Paris so I left for some Funk at Le Petit Journal. When I got there the band was on and it sucked.  It wasn't just the singing (atrocious), but the music itself wasn't very good.  It was a tourist spot and they wanted 25 Euro for that.  I kept noticing a lot of good music was outside of Paris:  Denis Colin, Kris Davis, Larry Corryell.  I feel like I haven't quite figured it out yet.  There's got to be more.  Everyone comes through Paris, so last time I lucked out that Warren Haynes Band, Tedeschi Trucks Band, and Secret Chiefs 3 were all in town when I was.  All American bands that I already know and love.  There's got to be more to it.  Also, I realize how lucky I am to live in a place where there are usually multiple stellar options on any given night.

I'm still in love with Paris regardless of whether I ever figure out how to get great music more often than not.  I also suspect it's better to go for the lesser known places.  I'm looking forward to checking out the Barbes area and the 11th more and planning out before hitting the suburbs on a future trip.

No comments: