Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Deaf Drummers, Paris 9/29/12

It was the middle of the day and I was near Place Saint-André des Arts when I heard the drumming over by the Seine.  I was curious to find the sound.  It was some kind of march or parade of people with about 8-10 drummers taking up the rear.  It sounded good and I was intrigued as to what it was about.  It turns out they were all deaf. 

I flashed back to my first time in Paris back in 1995.  I heard The Who blaring outside during the day and wanted to know what was going on.  It was another event with deaf people, some kind of party.  I was fascinated because I didn't realize one could appreciate music without being able to hear.  Makes me feel better as to the possibility of losing hearing in my old age.  Hopefully it won't happen, but if it does, I may not have to live without music.

I subsequently asked a friend who is a sign interpreter and she told me there's a big school in that area.  Also, a French guy pioneered a type of sign language that is used in France and the US.  She also told me about some of her clients and how they listen to music by feeling the vibrations.  She said one client uses a balloon at concerts to feel the vibrations through the balloon.  This is very interesting to me.  I may need to explore this further.

No comments: