Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Lakecia Benjamin @ LPR 6/12/12

I finally realized I can schedule appointments at 11am and take the morning off and then go out later the night before.  This show was the night before the dentist and I was looking forward to getting down.  I saw her band briefly at Winter Jazzfest and I knew then I wanted to see a whole show sometime.  This seemed like their extra special show because there were multiple singers and special guests.  They did a change up with the bass players sometime in the middle.  They were both great - the 2nd one was even more my style.

I loved the funky stuff, even though there weren't many dancers.  They took it down a bit too often for my taste, though.  At 12:15 they did the slowest song of the night.  Even though I knew they'd leave us funked up, I took it as a lullabye and made my exit.

For the high energy stuff they were a lot of fun.  They had a lot of steps the front line would do together and it got me dancing harder.  I don't know if I will ever get used to people staying seated just because there are seats.

Lakecia Benjamin- Release party of debut album "Retox"
Charismatic and dynamic saxophonist/bandleader Lakecia Benjamin, who has played with Stevie Wonder, Prince, Alicia Keys, The Roots and Macy Gray, will take center stage in her own right with the June 12 release of her unconventional soul/funk album, RETOX, on Motéma Music. The album will be released in Europe in the fall, and will be followed by a tour across Europe.

http://www.lakeciabenjamin.com/
Lakecia Benjamin & Soul Squad
GUEST VOCALISTS:
Jean Baylor (of Zhane)
Maya Azucena
Tracey Nicole
Vickie Natalie
Collette
Raydar Ellis
THE SOUL SQUAD LINEUP:
Chris RobKeys
Brian CockerhamBass
Joe BlaxxDrums
Jamiel CornieloGuitar
Brandee YoungerHarp
Jonathon PowellTrumpet
Nick RoseboroTrumpet
Jonathon AronsGuest Trombone

No comments: