Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Dirty Dozen Brass Band @ Brooklyn Bowl 6/8/12

After I kept having to stop and dance while walking by the Acura Stage at Jazzfest I figured it was time to give them another shot in NYC.  I used to love seeing them at Wetlands.  I also expected a guitar and that sax from New Orleans Suspects.  I know Jamie McClean has been gone for a while but I thought they had another guitar player.

Needless to say, there was no guitar and a different alto and piano.  Sure, Kirk Joseph, Terence Higgins and Roger Lewis were all there and they played well.  But, I wanted what blew me away at jazzfest.

I got there at around 9:15ish and they took a setbreak at around 10:20/10:30ish.  Sometime during the 2nd set, things took a turn.  They started getting funkier, it was more compelling to dance, "get up get on up ...". They weren't doing James Brown, they were doing something better!  The lights went down and it got phenomenal.  THIS is the song I saw them doing at jazzfest.  It was an awesome long song and then they went back to same old same old.  I don't know where they got that from, but I would love it if they could get more of it.  It reminded me a lot of my favorite parts of Soul Rebels.

No comments: