Thursday, June 7, 2012

Jazzfest Leg 4 @ Fairgrounds 5/6/12

This is it!  My legs are going to fall off, but I much get as much as I can before I drop.

Bo Dollis and the Wild Magnolias at the Jazz & Heritage Stage got me dancing again,  It's a common occurrence that no matter how exhausted my legs are, the music just gets them moving again.
http://lineup.nojazzfest.com/band/wild-magnolias-mardi-gras-indians

Bo Dollis & the Wild Magnolias
(Mardi Gras Indians) The son of the beloved Big Chief Bo Dollis, Bo Jr. has taken over leadership of this renowned Uptown Mardi Gras Indian tribe.
Though the elder Dollis has suffered illness over the past few years, he usually makes a highly anticipated appearance at the festival.


I enjoyed some of AsheSon at the Lagniappe Stage.  I don't remember anything about them except that.

http://lineup.nojazzfest.com/band/asheson
AsheSon (Latin/Cuban) Cubanborn
guitarist Javier Olondo leads this ensemble that performs music that incorporates elements from its members’ homelands: Cuba, Puerto Rico and Guatemala.


I heard a little of Sharon Jones & the Dap Kings. I didn't give them much of a chance, but I will say they didn't do it for me in the past.  I know I'm a minority and a lot of people love them.

I got a little Preservation Hall Jazz band, which in my view is a perfect choice for the new traditional Jazzfest closer (replacing The Radiators who broke up).

The New Orleans Night Crawlers were also an excellent fest closing choice, and that's how I ended it - totally up and dancing my butt off.
http://lineup.nojazzfest.com/band/n-o-nightcrawlers
New Orleans Night Crawlers (Brass Band) Assembled in 1994, the Crawlers boast many musicians heard in a variety of other groups such as trombonist Craig Klein (Bonerama), saxophonist Brent Rose and sousaphonist Matt Perrine. Solid arrangements and fine musicianship give this brassy outfit a sophisticated edge. Latest CD: Slither Slice. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MgzTHGfceQ

No comments: