Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Tepfer/Konitz Duo @ Jazz Standard 3/21/12

I may have been the only one there for Dan since Lee Konitz is one of the icons.  There was an issue with his mouthpiece and ligature - they didn't make it back with him from Europe and he was using borrowed parts. I'm going to presume that's why I wasn't feeling him as much as Dan.  He was good, just didn't quite catch me like Dan's playing did in each moment.  I did enjoy the set.

Lee Konitz alto saxophone
Dan Tepfer - piano
After seven decades of playing creative music, alto saxophonist Lee Konitz just keeps on keeping on. Best known for his work on Miles Davis landmark Birth of the Cool sessions and his affiliation with the Lennie Tristano school of improvisational theory, the 84yearold altoist has recorded more than fifty albums as a leader and continues to gig in quartet, quintet, and nonet settings. I really kind of think of myself as a sideman being invited to join people to play, Lee told All About Jazz in 2004. I get to play with many different people that way. Tonight, Jazz Standard presents a different side of Lee Konitz as he performs in an intimate duet setting with pianist Dan Tepfer. One of the most formidable musicians on the international jazz scene, Dan has been hailed as a player of exceptional poise by The New York Times. On his latest CD, Goldberg Variations/Variations, Dan Tepfer builds a bridge across centuries and genres to spark a dialogue with Johann Sebastian Bach. (The Wall Street Journal)

No comments: