Thursday, April 26, 2012

Bill Evans Soulgrass @ Blue Note 4/11/12

I've for the most part figured out how to do Blue Note.  I still don't like it, but every once in a while I just have to go.  I get that seat way back by the soundboard so I can get up and dance without bothering anyone.

Oh was this show worth it!  How everyone else remained seated I do not know.  It had a lot of soul, R&B feel, Medeski, and awesome musicians.  I love having the banjo.  I already knew how much I enjoy Bill from his sit-ins with Warren.  It turns out he's also pretty funny, which added to the entertainment.

The music was just awesome!  The drummer is also the singer.  He wasn't bad as a singer.  Sure, I would have preferred Robert Plant, but he wasn't bad and it did seem the type of music most people would want a singer for.  (You probably know I have singer issues and Robert Plant is the only stellar male singer I can come up with that definitely rates).

There was an amazing banjo/sax duo piece.  Apparently, Bill & Ryan have been together for a long time.  I really love banjo.

Medeski was awesome, both in his solos and as a sideman.  I'm so glad I chose his night.  I also loved the bass.

What a great night!

Etienne Mbappe bass
John Medeski organ
Josh Dion vocals and drums
Ryan Cavanaugh banjo
Mitch Stein, guitar

http://www.glidemagazine.com/hiddentrack/review-bill-evans-soulgrass-blue-note/

http://www.relix.com/blogs/exposed/2012/04/13/bill-evans-soulgrass-with-john-medeski-at-the-blue-note

No comments: