Sunday, October 2, 2011

Pop's Ball @ Hiro Ballroom 9/22/11

It was a lot of fun and a great band.  I had my wits about me, unlike my last visit to Hiro Ballroom.  There were also less people so I could see that there are 2 bars on the floor as well as some seating off to the left hand side.  Somehow I missed all of that at Voice of the Wetlands.  I was asked if I thought that show or Pop's Ball was a better lineup.  I would say VOW was my choice, although both lineups are killer.

Maurice Brown was especially doing it for me.  He added a lot.  I also loved having DJ Logic up there.  I flashed back to an earlier version of me years ago when I hated having him on stage with a band.  I just didn't appreciate him or any electronic type music.  It was when I started enjoying MMW that I changed my tune.  ... Come to think of it, I didn't like them back then, either.

I'm a little late in writing this, so I forget most of it already.  I just remember I enjoyed it.

I think the special guests missing in the lineup below were Eric Bolivar on drums, Maurice Brown on trumpet, and Big Sam on trombone.  I can't remember who the bass player was, but I think it was Anders usual.

CEG & NOLAFUNK.COM PRESENTS POPS BALL!
FEATURING ANDERS OSBORNE & BAND WITH DAVE MALONE (OF THE RADIATORS), JOHN "PAPA" GROS (OF PAPA GROWS FUNK) & DJ LOGIC. PLUS SPECIAL GUESTS
http://hiroballroom.com/

New Orleans’ Anders Osborne is among the most original and visionary roots rock guitarists, vocalists, and songwriters performing today. AMERICAN PATCHWORK, is a moving collection of soul-baring rock, blues and ballads. Often compared to Townes Van Zandt, Bruce Springsteen and Van Morrison, Osborne is an exceptional and singular talent. Live, Osborne is a force to behold. His ability to ignite an audience with his passionate, dynamic live show is legendary.

No comments: