Saturday, September 22, 2012

Oliver Lake Trio + Geri Allen @ Jazz Standard 9/16/12

I just had to go.  I was really tired, but it was way too early to go to bed.  I completely forgot my tiredness once the music started.  It was great from start to finish.  Everyone shone.  I could just see Oliver or Geri solo, but each of the 4 were stellar.

The listing:
For this much-anticipated Jazz Standard run, the “alto saxophonist with a robust and piercing sound” (New York Times) will lead Trio 3 with the peerless rhythm section of Reggie Workman and Andrew Cyrille and the invaluable addition of pianist Geri Allen. This group has released such outstanding CD as At This Time and The Oliver Lake Trio Live on the artist’s own Passin’ Thru label.
Oliver Lake – alto sax
Reggie Workman – bass
Andrew Cyrille – drums
With Special Guest
Geri Allen – piano

No comments: