Friday, July 13, 2012

Terence Blanchard @ Jazz Standard 6/20/12

I was getting done work that day and deciding what I wanted to do that night.  I saw this, but didn't want anything too mellow.  I went to Terence's website, gave a little listen, and knew I wanted to go.  I think the Katrina music for the Spike Lee film was really mellow, and I've been afraid to go see him since then.  Shame on me.

It was phenomenal and I loved every minute.  I would have loved to get up and dance but I know better.  I left very happy.

Terence Blanchard – trumpet
Brice Winston – tenor saxophone
Fabian Almazan – piano
Joshua Crumbly – bass
Kendrick Scott – drums
Terence Blanchard is one of the most accomplished and respected jazz musicians of his generation. As a composer and instrumentalist, he has created over 50 memorable scores for such Spike Lee films as Malcolm X (1992) and Clockers (1995), and most recently for George Lucas’ Red Tails (2012). He is a 5-time Grammy Award winner, including his 2007 tour de force A Tale of God's Will (A Requiem for Katrina), as well as an Emmy and Golden Globe nomi­nee. You can also here Blanchard’s music in the new Broadway revival of Tennessee Williams’ classic A Streetcar Named Desire. “He plays the most coolly expressive trumpet in jazz,” declared Vanity Fair, while The Wall Street Journal hailed Terence Blanchard as a creator of “bold, modern jazz that’s respectful of the tradition and served with style and emotion…His writing is superb and heartfelt, his playing perfect…”

No comments: